GUYS, I LOVE THE STATE FAIR OF TEXAS! Why might you ask? Because of all the fried foods! NNNOOOOOOOMMMMMM! Yup, that’s right I said it. The famous Fletcher’s corndog, deep fried breakfast for dinner, deep fried Texas bluebonnet, fried sweet Texas, deep fried milk and cookies on a stick, and funnel cake ale were all on my hit list this year. Here’s the catch, whenever I go out to eat or cook at home, I do not order/make fried things. I’m waaayyyy too health conscious for that non-sense, unless I go to the state fair or indulge in my uncle’s fried catfish (which I also get once a year). My motto has always been everything in moderation, including moderation.
Deep Fried “Breakfast for Dinner”: A twist on a favorite American dinner–“Breakfast for Dinner.” This is a 10″ flour tortilla stuffed with eight favorite breakfast items – scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, bacon, potatoes, ham, onion, cheddar cheese and gooey cinnamon roll bits – that are deep fried until golden brown and served with salsa. My 3rd place winner.
Deep Fried Texas Bluebonnet: a blueberry muffin, scone-style batter that is stuffed with cream cheese, blueberries and sweet morsels of white chocolate. It is baked and deep fried to a perfect golden brown. This mountain of flavor is topped off with whipped cream, chopped white chocolate morsels, powdered sugar, blueberries, and a delicious blueberry glaze. My 2nd place winner.
Fried Sweet Texas: it starts with fresh pie dough filled with crunchy pecan pie, juicy peach cobbler, and creamy buttermilk pie. It is then deep fried until the crust is golden brown and flaky, and then served up with a side of Texas’ own Blue Bell Vanilla Ice Cream. A real tribute to Texans and their amazing sweet treats! My 4th place winner.
Funnel Cake Ale: A light and delicious ale brewed to be reminiscent of one of the telltale flavors of the State Fair – FUNNEL CAKE! This refreshing English style summer ale has been brewed to be ready and crisp, with just the right amount of toastiness and sweetness, finishing with delicate notes of natural vanilla; all great flavors you find in a perfectly executed funnel cake. The rim of your cup is coated with powdered sugar. My 1st place winner.
Deep Fried Milk and Cookies on a Stick: Whole milk, half & half and heavy cream are blended with sugar, cookies and slow cooked to make a creamy custard that is chilled for 6+ hours. The finished milky/creamy product is then sliced in thin sections, dipped in an egg wash and rolled in Japanese Bread Crumbs. It is then deep fried and served hot with a sprinkling of powered sugar and choice of chocolate or strawberry sauce. As Ross from ‘Friend’s’ would say…”stick to the list. ALWAYS stick to the list”….the Big Tex Top 10 list that is…I learned that the hard was this year…
Some things to think about before you head to your state fair:
- If you are going to indulge in the goodness of these delectable fried delicacies at least think of semi-counterbalancing it. For example, my boyfriend and I worked out the morning before we went for a walk that evening
- How much are you willing to spend on food? It gets hella expensive. Parking ranges from $5-15. We both had free tickets, which are $17 a pop. And we spent $50 on food!! Ridiculous (again, only happens once a year)!
- Will you have a friend with you to devour their half of said fried food? Thus increasing your ability to try more weird things, and 1/2 the calorie load.
- Walk the place at least twice…for health reasons yeah…but also for a food you were wanting to try and missed the first time around.
- You can bring in your own food and non-alcoholic beverages in a bag (so save a few bucks and bring healthier snacks and drinks)
- Enjoy the time you are spending with whomever you go with! My favorite things besides the fried foods are:
- Getting a picture with Big Tex
- The #GoTexan Food & Fiber pavilion
- The Garden Program
- The car show
- The cooking demos
We had such a great time and the weather was awesome! I can’t wait for next year! A point to remember, health is a total picture. One bad day of eating will not ruin your health and hard work, just like one good day of eating will not make you beach body ready. Enjoy life and all it offers in moderation, including moderation.